Teens Curate Teens
Teens Curate Teens
(Artists) Amanda Guest, Program Manager
Open to 9th – 12th graders from NYC public schools
(Curators) Courtney Treglia, Program Manager
The Curator & Artist Applications are now closed. Stay tuned for Spring 2022!
Check out the Teens Curate Teens 2021 Virtual Exhibition: The Unsounded Path
We are excited to present this year’s Teens Curate Teens exhibition “The Unsounded Path”; a virtual exhibition of teen artists responding to the Black Lives Matter movement. The gallery will feature 18 works of art curated by NYC public high school students.
Teens Curate Teens (TCT) is a free out-of-school program that brings together NYC high school artists and curators to produce an art exhibition based on a subject selected by teens. The program will be virtual this Winter/Spring 2021, running from February – May 2021, with the exhibition opening in May 2021.
SPRING 2021 Exhibition Theme:
Black Lives Matter: Teen artists respond to the movement
In 2013, a hashtag was created in response to the murder of a young Black teen. That hashtag became a movement that confronts a reality many feel has been neglected. For some, BLM liberates and reaffirms. For others, it polarizes and challenges. As BLM empowers many to elevate the fight for social justice and civil rights, it simultaneously challenges the validity and authenticity of America’s social contracts: Do we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are really created equal? Is this a fight for truth and justice? Is a fight for truth and justice the American way? And who do we hold accountable if injustice is systemic? The BLM Movement begs us to confront our relationships with each other, with our wider communities, with local power infrastructures and, more importantly, with ourselves. In ArtsConnnection’s Teens Curate Teens program we will hold space for teen artists as they respond to what they feel is one of the most important issues impacting their lives at this moment.
We’ve got the space. Do you have the vision?
Make a statement with your art. Tell a story. Make art that not only demands attention but sends a message that resonates with people.
As a Teens Curate Teens Curator, you will:
- Explore online galleries and learn the ins and outs of curating a virtual exhibition
- Meet with your team of curators virtually once a week for 12 weeks to create an online virtual exhibition for teens by teens
- Unveil an exhibition during a virtual opening reception to public in May 2021
As a Teens Curate Teens Artist, you will:
- Create original artwork in any medium that reflects your personal perspective responding to this year’s theme.
- Submit your artwork through our online portal
- if your art is selected it will be part of a group show in our virtual gallery with a virtual opening reception
- As an exhibiting artist, you will be awarded a $100 gift card from Blick Art Materials
Past Teens Curate Teens Exhibitions
Teens Curate Teens Art Submission made SimpleApril 4, 2016
The deadline to submit artwork to this year’s Teens Curate Teens exhibition is fast approaching on WEDNESDAY, APRIL 6th! It’s not…Read More