Teens Curate Teens
Teens Curate Teens
(Artists) Amanda Guest, Program Manager
Open to 9th – 12th graders from NYC public schools
(Curators) Bridget Johnson, Program Manager
- NYC Public High School Teens in 9-12 Grade
- Curators – Available for all curator workshop dates. No exhibition experience necessary. Apply by the deadline (see below).
- Artists – Submit Artwork in response to this year’s theme by the deadline (see below).
- Please see Application Preview for Covid safety policy.
Teens Curate Teens (TCT) is a free out-of-school program that brings together NYC high school artists and curators to produce an art exhibition based on a subject selected by teens. What role will you choose in this emerging exhibition?
The program will be “hybrid” this Winter/Spring 2022, running from February – May, with the exhibition opening in May 2022. Our goal is for curators to meet in-person and for the exhibition to be both virtual with an in-person. We will be responsive to any updated safety concerns.
Spring 2022 EXHIBITION THEME: Mental Health
Over 500 teens responded this year to our TCT survey and nominated the theme of Mental Health out of 12 submitted options. Centering Mental health this year, this exhibition will offer a platform for teen voices and art that communicate the many aspects of what Mental Health means and how it’s expressed. Be encouraged to reflect on the intersections of Mental Health across care for self, one’s body, loved ones, and community. From brief moments to seemingly never-ending realities, at every turn and in a variety of ways, our mental health impacts and responds to how we experience our life and the world around us.
BE A CURATOR
What Matters to You? Make a statement. Tell a story. Curate an exhibition that not only demands attention but also sends a message that resonates with folks.
- Visit Galleries in NYC and learn the ins and outs of curating and installing an exhibition.
- Meet with your team of curators once a week for twelve weeks to create an original exhibition for teens by teens.
- Unveil a month-long group show for all to see.
Important Dates for Curators
Curator Interviews: January 18 – 26
Curator Program Dates: February 3 – May 7 4:30 – 6:30 PM every Thursday
Exhibition Opening: Saturday, May 7
Curator and Artist reflection: Thursday, May 12
BE AN ARTIST
What do you want to say? Make a statement with your art. Connect with a community of creative teens like you who want to use their art to effect change.
- Create original artwork in any medium that reflects your personal perspective responding to this year’s theme.
- Make art to be submitted for a month-long group show for all to see.
- Receive an award for a $100 gift card from BLICK Art Materials if selected for the exhibition.
Artist online application goes live December 2021
Artwork Submission Deadline: March 10, 6pm
How to Apply:
Once your artwork is ready, complete online application and receive your code number
Drop off or mail your artwork to ArtsConnection by the deadline: Thursday, March 10, 6pm
*We select from original artwork, not digital submissions
Artist Important Dates:
Artwork submission deadline: Thursday, March 10, 6pm
Free artist workshop: Wednesday, February 23
Selected artists meet curators: Wednesday, April 6
Exhibition opening: Saturday, May 7
Artist and curator reflection: Wednesday, May 11
Check out the Teens Curate Teens 2021 Virtual Exhibition: The Unsounded Path
View last year’s Teens Curate Teens exhibition “The Unsounded Path”; a virtual exhibition of teen artists responding to the Black Lives Matter movement. The gallery features 18 works of art curated by NYC public high school students.
Past Teens Curate Teens Exhibitions
Teens Curate Teens Art Submission made SimpleApril 4, 2016
The deadline to submit artwork to this year’s Teens Curate Teens exhibition is fast approaching on WEDNESDAY, APRIL 6th! It’s not…Read More